Altoona city firefighters quickly contained an electrical blaze that broke out at a city church last night.
It happened around 10:30PM at the First Evangelical Methodist Church on 29th Street and Oak Avenue. Neighbors noticed sparks and arching on the front porch and called 911. Firefighters arriving on scene found a smoldering fire underneath the fascia where a sign is attached to the front of the roof.
City councilman Dave Butterbaugh attends the church and knows the outcome could have been a lot worse.
Fire Chief Renny Santone says timing played a role in keeping the church from sustaining major damage.
Santone says the fire will be ruled electrical in nature.