Department of Health Offers Tips to Stay Safe During Summer Heat Waves
Now that hotter weather set in, the Pennsylvania Department of Health is offering some common-sense tips to stay healthy during heat waves.
Secretary of Health Michael Wolf says “Healthy people of any age can have heat-related illnesses.”
Adults over 65, children under four, people with existing medical problems such as heart disease, and those without access to air conditioning are at greatest risk of developing heat-related illness.
Pennsylvanians are encouraged to follow these tips during heat waves:
• Drink more water than usual and don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink more fluids.
• Check on high-risk individuals often and remind them to drink enough water.
• Avoid caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, as well as liquids containing high amounts of sugar.
• Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing.
• Avoid direct sunlight and limit outdoor activities to early morning or evening hours when temperatures are usually cooler.
• Never leave children or pets in vehicles.
• Stay in air-conditioned areas as much as possible to cool down and prevent heat-related illnesses.
The most common heat-related illnesses are heat stroke and heat exhaustion.
Heat stroke is the most serious heat-related illness.
Warning signs include extreme body temperature, rapid pulse, throbbing headache, dizziness and confusion. If you develop symptoms of heat stroke, get medical assistance right away.
Heat exhaustion symptoms are heavy sweating, paleness, muscle cramps, tiredness, weakness, dizziness, headache, nausea or vomiting and fainting. For more information and hot weather safety tips, visit www.health.state.pa.us.
Dell Laptop Computer,
with DVD player, Windows 7
Junit Brand Ladies' Coat,
size L, new, never worn, white,
grey and white faux fur lining, $50
2001 Chevy Impala Rotors,
1 set - (reduced) $40
Lemax Christmas Village,
for under tree or...
WIN through Friday the 13th if you know
The Answer Is Always
You can win your choice of
a Mens' or Ladies' Citizens Watch
Listen to The 11th Hour through Friday December 13th
call Doug at 944-9420 when he asks a question
Monday December 2nd
Master Gardener Tom Ford
Tuesday December 3rd
Guest Cohost David Ickes
Wednesday December 4th
Innovation Insider Steve Greenberg - Holiday Tech
PLUS: Are you a local inventor who would be interested in